Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions

When you have been injured because of the careless or negligent acts of another person, you may have many questions about your rights and the steps you need to take to protect your interests and your future. This page provides clear and concise answers to many frequently asked questions that personal injury victims have. For more thorough explanations and to protect your rights, you want to contact an experienced personal injury attorney.

At the law office of Harper & Peterson, P.L.L.C., our Woodbury attorneys take a comprehensive approach to personal injury representation. Attorneys Bill Harper and Paul Peterson are both Board Certified Civil Trial Specialists. In our decades in practice, between us, we have tried hundreds of personal injury cases. We limit the number of cases we take so that we can devote our full attention to getting the financial recovery you need, and to helping you take the necessary steps to move forward with your life.

Questions Frequently Asked of Our Minnesota Lawyers After Injuries Suffered in Accidents

  1. What should I do immediately following a car crash?
    • The first thing you should do after being injured in a car crash is seek necessary medical care. If you went to the emergency room for immediate injuries, it is still a good idea to make an appointment with your general physician. As a doctor who is familiar with your medical background, he or she may notice issues that a doctor unfamiliar with your personal history would not.
    • Call the police to report the crash as soon as possible.
    • Take pictures of the damage done to your vehicle, the other vehicles involved in the crash, and any other property such as road barriers or highway signs.
    • The next thing to do is call an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Tell him or her the exact circumstances of the crash as you remember them.
  2. Minnesota is a no-fault insurance state. What are my rights after a motor vehicle crash and what steps should I take to protect my interests?
    • Under Minnesota law, medical expenses, lost wages or income, and other miscellaneous costs are paid by your own insurance company. You may also have a right to pursue claims against other drivers at fault for the crash. To learn more, see our page on auto crash.
  3. Is it okay to talk to an insurance agent about the crash?
    • No, except to tell him or her that you have obtained legal representation. Whether he or she is coming from your insurance agent, or that of the other driver, all questions and other communications should be directed to your attorney. An insurance agent is trained to gather information that will help the insurance company deny aspects of your claim now and in the future.
  4. What if I was hit by an uninsured driver?
    • Many insurance policies offer uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Such coverage covers personal injury damages, acting as a supplement to your personal no-fault insurance policy.

Contact Our Office

To arrange a free private consultation about injuries suffered in an accident with an experienced Minnesota attorney, contact our office online or call us 24/7 at 651-738-8539 (toll free at 1-800-779-1466).