Board-Certified* Trial Specialists With A Reputation For Results

At the law office of Harper & Peterson, P.L.L.C., we use our well recognized ability to try cases and skillful negotiation to help seriously injured people secure rightful compensation from wrongdoers.

When can injured crime victims sue for compensation?

On Behalf of | Jun 18, 2019 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

Being at the scene of a crime is a terrifying experience. It can seem like it is happening in slow motion and faster than you could imagine, all at the same time.

Whether you were the intended victim of the crime or not, your injuries can have a severe cost. On top of hospital bills, you may also be unable to work and enjoy your favorite activities.

Here’s what you need to know if you have injuries from a crime.

Your civil case is different

As a crime victim, when it comes to getting compensation for your injuries, it is important to remember the difference between criminal and civil cases. While you can seek restitution from the person who committed the crime, that case is different from a civil case where you sue the other person for damages.

Your civil case does not have to meet the high “beyond a reasonable doubt” burden of proof for you to get compensation. In most civil cases, on the other hand, the jury has to agree that the evidence suggests that event, more likely than not, occurred.

What damages can you include in your claim?

While your injury is painful to deal with, when you are the victim of a crime, there can be more damages than hospital bills. Your injuries could leave you permanently disabled and unable to contribute to your household the way you used to. In Minnesota, your claim for damages can include costs, such as:

  • Medical bills
  •  Lost wages
  • Childcare or other household service support
  • Counseling

In addition to compensation from a civil lawsuit and restitution from the criminal case, you may also be able to request reparations from the Department of Public Safety.